Russian Characters are being saved and displayed as “????” in WordPress

So the problem is, when we transferred our site from WordPress.com to WordPress.Org which means to self-hosted, we ran into a problem of character encoding.

So I checked my wp-config.php file, and it was all correct.

Next I went to my Database Management Console, to see what is really going on. I logged into my Siteground Account.

By the way if you are interested in the great WordPress hosting I recommend Siteground to all my clients, you can use this link to Sign for Siteground Hosting

Lets get back to this article, so then I went ahead and logged into phpMyAdmin and started exploring the Database

So server charset, looks good to me

Server connection collation looks good as well

Next I ran a SQL query for identifying the Schema

and my results were, not what I was looking for

As well as my table collation was set to different character set

So I had to convert it and I altered it by running the following SQL queries

BACKUP YOUR DATABASE BEFORE RUNNING THESE

So this will allow you to save Russian characters in the database and in the “wp-posts” table and it will not display as question marks “????”.

Reference for more reading:

I hope this will help you solve your issue.

Published by

Tony Mamedbekov

Husband, Developer, Coder, Designer, Photographer, Entrepreneur and many more great things :)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.